I’ve been slow in getting my recap of April 2nd’s Evolve IP Spring Fling 5K done, not because it was a bad race (quite the opposite, actually!) but because there was a photographer on the course and I was really hoping to include a photo with this recap. Alas, the photos have still not been posted so, in lieu of a cool action shot, here’s a photo of everyone getting rained on at the start.
After a strong performance during the 3-2-1 Loop 10K last month, I went into this race believing there was a chance I could beat my 5K PR of 23:17. Although the weather wasn’t totally cooperating, I was actually happy to be standing in the rain at 9AM on a Saturday morning and eager to see how quickly I could finish my sixth race of the year.
The out-and-back course began by zig-zagging through parking lots before depositing us out onto the Chester Valley Trail. After a short stretch on the paved trail the first mile was over in 7:34 and the halfway turnaround point was almost in sight.
Mile 2 was spent exclusively on the rail-trail. I think this section of the CV trail along Rt. 202 has been open for a few years, but this was my first time on it. The route was extremely flat and perfectly straight. I ran without music and had the constant white noise of traffic whizzing by on the wet highway to keep my mind busy. As I approached the turnaround I saw the first and second place women go by and then realized I was in third place! Mile 2 was over in 7:39.
I wasn’t thrilled with my 2nd mile split, and I didn’t feel like I had a whole lot more speed to tap into for the final mile. I worked hard to run as fast as I could during the last portion of the trail, then tried to mentally prepare myself to weave around the parking lots for another half mile. If I could have exited the trail and run directly back to the finish I think I might have been able to pick up my pace a little more, but the extra loops through the parking lot (which took us right by the finish) made it a little harder to get excited about the finish.
Finally my last parking lot loop was done and I was headed towards the finish line for real. I focused on the finish clock as I approached the line. 23:18..19..20..21..22..23..24..25! I finished the race with an official time of 23:26, good enough for 3rd place female and 10th overall!
Although I missed my PR by 9 seconds I still feel very good about this race. My splits were by far the most even I’ve ever run and, even though that final mile felt hard, it was the fastest third mile I’ve run in any of my “top” 5Ks to date!
I know I can run faster, especially in a larger race with more crowd excitement and people near my pace to run with. I have my sights set on this year’s Haverford Twilight Run on April 23rd… I PR’d there last year and I think I can do it again this year!
Miles since last post: 108.5
Days since last post: 21
2016 MILES: 502.9
• March ’16: St. Agnes 5K (3/5), 3-2-1 Loop 10K (3/12) [10K PR], Pickle Run (3/19)
• February ’16: Pickle with Piper (2/20)
• January ’16: Pickle Trail Run (1/30)
• December ’15: Jingle Elf Run (12/3) [2M PR], Brian’s Run (12/5) [5M PR], Reindeer Romp 5K (12/13)
• November ’15: Trinity 5K (11/7), Seven Summits Turkey Trot (11/26) [5K PR]
• October ’15: BAAR 5K (10/3), Double OyVey 10K (10/25) [10K PR], Boo Run 5K (10/31)
• September ’15: Run-A-Muck Trail 5K (9/19)
• August ’15: Boxcar Mile (8/13), Pickle in the Streets 5K (8/27)
• June ’15: Media 5 Mile (6/19)
• May ’15: Broad Street 10 Mile Run (5/3) [10M PR], Rocky Run Trail 5K (5/15), Victory 5K (5/17)
• April ’15: Tyler Trail 10K (4/11) [10K PR], Empower the Children 5K (4/18), Haverford Twilight 5K (4/26) [5K PR]
• March ’15: Athlete’s Closet March 5K (3/7), St. Pat’s 5K (3/14), Granogue Trail 10K (3/21), Pickle Run #3 (3/28)
• February ’15: Athlete’s Closet February 5K (2/7), Pickle Trail Run #2 (2/21)
• January ’15: SRA New Year’s Day 5K (1/1), Athlete’s Closet January 5K (1/3), Pickle Run #1 (1/17)
• December ’14: Jingle Elf 2 Mile (12/5) [2M PR], Brian’s Run 5 Miler (12/7) [5M PR], Athlete’s Closet Holiday 5K (12/14)
• November ’14: Trinity Berwyn 5K (11/1) [5K PR], Metal Run 5K (11/8), Seven Summits Turkey Trot (11/27)
• October ’14: Martin’s Run 5K (10/5), Fueled Up & Fired Up 5K (10/18), Bark in the Park 5K (10/25)
• September ’14: Talk 5K Trail Run (9/13), Run A Muck Trail Race (9/20), Haverford Township 5K (9/27)
• August ’14: Riddlewood 5K (8/3), Radnor Red Steeplechase (8/17), Pickle in the Streets 5K (8/28) [5K PR]
• July ’14: Cam’s ‘Moonlight’ 5K (7/10), Swarthmore Independence Eve 8K (7/18) [5M PR]
• June ’14: Radnor Conservancy 5K Trail Run (6/1), Media 5 Miler (6/20)
• May ’14: Elwyn 5K (5/3), Run for Victory 5K (5/18) [5K PR], Rocky Run 5K Trail Run (5/30)
• April ’14: Las Vegas Security 5K (4/3), Rick’s Run 5K (4/19), St. Tim’s 5K (4/26)
• March ’14: Athlete’s Closet March 5 Miler (3/1), Color Out Cancer 5K (3/30)
• February ’14: Athlete’s Closet February 5K (2/1)
• January ’14: Athlete’s Closet January 5K (1/4)
• December ’13: Athlete’s Closet December 5K (12/14), New Year’s Eve YMCA 5K (12/31) [5K PR]
• November ’13: Trinity Presbyterian 5K (11/2), Turkey Trot 5K (11/28)
• October ’13: Fueled Up & Fired Up 5K (10/19), Oy Vey 5K (10/27) [5K PR]
• September ’13: Run-a-Muck 5K (9/21)
• The Challenge Begins: 100 Mile iPad Mini Challenge (7/23/13)
13 thoughts on “April Showers Bring Fast Times! (Race Recap)”
I’m really impressed with how consistent your 5K times are. Mine are all over the board. I’ll have one great time and then a bunch of mediocre ones.
I was just about to comment how consistent your mile splits were!! Your PR had your last mile at a positive so you can definitely see how much you’ve improved. With a course to your liking, you have A LOT more to give!!
This was super inspiring to read as I’m hoping to PR at my next 5k in a couple of weeks. I’m at 23:48 and would love 23:30 (or under, of course, lol!). The course isn’t favorable but I’m gonna give it a go any way 😀
Pingback: Labor Day and 2xCure4Cam | The Little GSP
Pingback: My 5,280 Foot PR | The Little GSP
Pingback: That time I TIED my 5K PR! | The Little GSP
Pingback: Rocky Run Trail 5K | The Little GSP
Pingback: A New PR at the Delaware Downhill 5K! | The Little GSP
Pingback: Piper’s PR at the St. Agnes 5K | The Little GSP
Pingback: It’s definitely time to blog: I now have FOUR PRs to recap! | The Little GSP
Pingback: A New Running Record for October… | The Little GSP
Pingback: A freak neck injury and the Media 5 Miler | The Little GSP
Pingback: Pretend it’s May 27th… Recap of the Elwyn 5K! | The Little GSP
Pingback: Not quite as I planned: Recap of the Delaware “Flat” 5K | The Little GSP