Last Saturday I ran the final 5K in the Athlete’s Closet Winter Series. After a lackluster finish at this event in February my goal was to beat my previous course-best time of 23:47 from January. I worked hard during the weeks leading up to Saturday’s race and I was fired up and ready to run FAST!
Unfortunately I did not get a chance to better my official course time. Just before the race began the race director announced that the course had to be cut short due to snow and ice on a section of the road. 😞 On the bright side, he reminded us, we’d all get automatic PRs for running a 5K “minus a little bit” so at least I had that going for me! 😉 Ultimately the shortened course really wasn’t that bad but I’ll admit, I was sad to miss my chance at an official course PR after a month of hyping myself up!
Even with a short course I could still try to run my fastest pace of the series. I couldn’t remember exactly what a sub 23:47 5K translated to in terms of pace so I focused on trying to stay in the mid-7:30s. The first mile ticked by feeling relaxed, controlled and, dare I say it… easy in 7:22. 7:22!!! Whoops, a little TOO fast. But I felt good so I rolled with it. The second mile chirped by in 7:47 and I reasoned that I was pretty much on target with an average pace right around 7:35. With less than a mile to go all I needed to do was hang on…
According to Garmin I slowed down a ridiculous amount on the final uphill stretch (I think that’s a technological glitch… I have no recollection of that!) but I still managed to squeak through the finish in 21:48. The race distance was 2.85 miles and my average pace was 7:39. Was that good enough to beat January’s pace…..?? It turns out that YES, it was!! If the course had been the full length and IF (big if) I had kept up the same pace, I was on track to run a 23:42 5K… 5 seconds faster than my January time on this course! Woohoo!
My finish time was good enough for 10th place overall, 3rd place woman and, for the 4th time in the race series, 1st in my age group. 😄
Before the race I promised myself that if I ran fast I could buy my first-ever pair of trail running shoes. I think 7:39 pace qualified as fast so a few hours after the race I picked up these beauties:
Brooks Cascadia 9s. They’re last year’s model which means that they were on sale! I took them for a spin on Sunday at Ridley Creek State Park and they were nice and comfy despite the treacherously slippery slush and snow. My GSP trail-trotting buddy approves!
The next race that I’m registered for is the final Pickle Run on March 28th. I have a feeling that that won’t actually be my next race though… I’m pretty sure that I’ll be signing up for either a St. Paddy’s Day 5K this weekend or a 10K trail race on the 21st. Or both. We’ll see! 😄
Miles since last post: 62
Days since last post: 13
Avg. Daily Miles since 7/18/13: 4.84
2015 MILES: 329.2
• February ’15: Athlete’s Closet February 5K (2/7), Pickle Trail Run #2 (2/21)
• January ’15: SRA New Year’s Day 5K (1/1), Athlete’s Closet January 5K (1/3), Pickle Run #1 (1/17)
• December ’14: Jingle Elf 2 Mile (12/5), Brian’s Run 5 Miler (12/7), Athlete’s Closet Holiday 5K (12/14)
• November ’14: Trinity Berwyn 5K (11/1) [PR], Metal Run 5K (11/8), Seven Summits Turkey Trot (11/27)
• October ’14: Martin’s Run 5K (10/5), Fueled Up & Fired Up 5K (10/18), Bark in the Park 5K (10/25)
• September ’14: Talk 5K Trail Run (9/13), Run A Muck Trail Race (9/20), Haverford Township 5K (9/27)
• August ’14: Riddlewood 5K (8/3), Radnor Red Steeplechase (8/17), Pickle in the Streets 5K (8/28) [PR]
• July ’14: Cam’s ‘Moonlight’ 5K (7/10), Swarthmore Independence Eve 8K (7/18)
• June ’14: Radnor Conservancy 5K Trail Run (6/1), Media 5 Miler (6/20)
• May ’14: Elwyn 5K (5/3), Run for Victory 5K (5/18) [PR], Rocky Run 5K Trail Run (5/30)
• April ’14: Las Vegas Security 5K (4/3/, Rick’s Run 5K (4/19), St. Tim’s 5K (4/26)
• March ’14: Athlete’s Closet March 5 Miler (3/1), Color Out Cancer 5K (3/30)
• February ’14: Athlete’s Closet February 5K (2/1)
• January ’14: Athlete’s Closet January 5K (1/4)
• December ’13: Athlete’s Closet December 5K (12/14), New Year’s Eve YMCA 5K (12/31) [PR]
• November ’13: Trinity Presbyterian 5K (11/2), Turkey Trot 5K (11/28)
• October ’13: Fueled Up & Fired Up 5K (10/19), Oy Vey 5K (10/27) [PR]
• September ’13: Run-a-Muck 5K (9/21)
• The Challenge Begins: 100 Mile iPad Mini Challenge (7/23/13)