Happy New Year! Now that the holidays are over I’m catching up on some posts from last year… here’s the recap of my 27th and final race of 2015!
Three weeks ago I ran the Reindeer Romp 5K in Havertown, PA. At the time what was most memorable about this race was the weather… it was 70 degrees, in Pennsylvania, in DECEMBER!!! (By comparison, it was 30 degrees when I raced this same weekend last year.)
The hot and humid weather was shocking at the time, but since then we’ve had multiple days in the mid-60s so now it seems less bizarre. The weather topped out at 71 degrees on Christmas eve!! Although I definitely prefer running in cold temps I have to admit that these warm days have been a nice way to ease into winter. 😄
So back to the race… this was my first time doing the Reindeer Romp. It was very well attended with over 500 runners, several vendors, AND a visit from Santa in the middle of the course!! Prior to this race I had PR’d three races in a row (5K, 2 mile, and 5 mile!), so I didn’t feel a burning need to vie for a new personal best at the Reindeer Romp. I figured I’d go out quick just in case I had another PR in me, but if a sub 23:17 seemed out of reach I’d just settle in and enjoy myself.
Thanks to a slight downhill during much of the first mile, split 1 was a speedy and comfortable 7:21, right on par with my 5K PR performance from Thanksgiving. But then mile 2 began with a long uphill climb. This hill combined with my fast first mile and the unusual heat and humidity definitely got to me and I struggled through the second mile with a split of 7:46. The only redeeming part of this mile was when a fire truck drove by and I belatedly realized that Santa Claus was on it, merrily cheering us on. Thanks for the encouragement, Santa!! 😄
I knew after seeing my second mile split that I wasn’t going to PR, so I just hung in there for mile 3, trying to keep my pace under 8:00. I just barely met that goal with a 7:57 and before I knew it was crossing the finish line with an official chip time of 23:49.
23:49. Not my best race of the year, but a very solid time, especially considering the weather and the fact that I had run two fast races the weekend before. I was feeling a little indifferent about my race performance until the race director announced the age group awards and I found out that I came in 3rd in my age group! That was a total surprise and cheered me right up, especially when they handed me a big glass mug with the race logo on it. What a great prize!!
As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I ran 27 races in 2015: one 1 miler, one 2 miler, nineteen 5Ks, two 5 milers, three 10Ks, and one 10 miler. Overall the Reindeer Romp was a fun way to end my year of racing, but for my race schedule the timing of this race will always put it the weekend after my big double race weekend of the season. Therefore I think if I run the Romp next year it will again be as more of a fun, end-of-season event rather than a major goal race. There’s nothing wrong with that though, especially when a mid-course wave from Santa and a giant beer mug are involved!
Miles since last post: 120.7
Days since last post: 27
2015 TOTAL MILES: 1718
2016 MILES: 9.8
• December ’15: Jingle Elf Run (12/3) [2M PR], Brian’s Run (12/5) [5M PR]
• November ’15: Trinity 5K (11/7), Seven Summits Turkey Trot (11/26) [5K PR]
• October ’15: BAAR 5K (10/3), Double OyVey 10K (10/25) [10K PR], Boo Run 5K (10/31)
• September ’15: Run-A-Muck Trail 5K (9/19)
• August ’15: Boxcar Mile (8/13), Pickle in the Streets 5K (8/27)
• June ’15: Media 5 Mile (6/19)
• May ’15: Broad Street 10 Mile Run (5/3) [10M PR], Rocky Run Trail 5K (5/15), Victory 5K (5/17)
• April ’15: Tyler Trail 10K (4/11) [10K PR], Empower the Children 5K (4/18), Haverford Twilight 5K (4/26) [5K PR]
• March ’15: Athlete’s Closet March 5K (3/7), St. Pat’s 5K (3/14), Granogue Trail 10K (3/21), Pickle Run #3 (3/28)
• February ’15: Athlete’s Closet February 5K (2/7), Pickle Trail Run #2 (2/21)
• January ’15: SRA New Year’s Day 5K (1/1), Athlete’s Closet January 5K (1/3), Pickle Run #1 (1/17)
• December ’14: Jingle Elf 2 Mile (12/5) [2M PR], Brian’s Run 5 Miler (12/7) [5M PR], Athlete’s Closet Holiday 5K (12/14)
• November ’14: Trinity Berwyn 5K (11/1) [5K PR], Metal Run 5K (11/8), Seven Summits Turkey Trot (11/27)
• October ’14: Martin’s Run 5K (10/5), Fueled Up & Fired Up 5K (10/18), Bark in the Park 5K (10/25)
• September ’14: Talk 5K Trail Run (9/13), Run A Muck Trail Race (9/20), Haverford Township 5K (9/27)
• August ’14: Riddlewood 5K (8/3), Radnor Red Steeplechase (8/17), Pickle in the Streets 5K (8/28) [5K PR]
• July ’14: Cam’s ‘Moonlight’ 5K (7/10), Swarthmore Independence Eve 8K (7/18) [5M PR]
• June ’14: Radnor Conservancy 5K Trail Run (6/1), Media 5 Miler (6/20)
• May ’14: Elwyn 5K (5/3), Run for Victory 5K (5/18) [5K PR], Rocky Run 5K Trail Run (5/30)
• April ’14: Las Vegas Security 5K (4/3), Rick’s Run 5K (4/19), St. Tim’s 5K (4/26)
• March ’14: Athlete’s Closet March 5 Miler (3/1), Color Out Cancer 5K (3/30)
• February ’14: Athlete’s Closet February 5K (2/1)
• January ’14: Athlete’s Closet January 5K (1/4)
• December ’13: Athlete’s Closet December 5K (12/14), New Year’s Eve YMCA 5K (12/31) [5K PR]
• November ’13: Trinity Presbyterian 5K (11/2), Turkey Trot 5K (11/28)
• October ’13: Fueled Up & Fired Up 5K (10/19), Oy Vey 5K (10/27) [5K PR]
• September ’13: Run-a-Muck 5K (9/21)
• The Challenge Begins: 100 Mile iPad Mini Challenge (7/23/13)