Ever since moving into our house 5 1/2 years ago Matt and I have wanted to knock down a wall and renovate our kitchen. The timing was finally right this spring, so after months of figuring out “our” style, finding the right contractor, and selecting critical components like the flooring and appliances we were ready to get started!
Demolition began on June 3, 2016. Matt and I actually missed the excitement because we were out of town in San Diego, but this made the change even more dramatic. Here’s how the kitchen looked before we left versus on the day we came home… what a difference 3 days of work makes!!
Construction moved along quickly during the months of June and July. My favorite milestones occurred when the floor tiles were laid, the countertops were installed, and the kitchen faucet was hooked up to running water. There were a few bumps along the way (like the time I turned on the tub in the master bathroom only to realize that the drain wasn’t hooked up… water dumped straight down into the unfinished kitchen!) but overall the process went very smoothly.
From a homeowner’s perspective I found the following to be hardest parts of the renovation:
- Dust and dirt everywhere. Those plastic sheets only go so far when the whole first floor of your house is being ripped apart.
- Not being able to boil water. (I’m a runner, I NEED pasta.)
- The last 2 weeks when the kitchen was almost done… Being patient with the end in sight was extremely difficult!
Our contractor estimated that the job would take 2 months and he was spot on. I moved all of our dishes, pots, pans, and food into the new kitchen on July 31st and Matt and I have had a blast using the new space in the weeks since. Without further ado, here it is!
After months of gathering ideas from Houzz and Pinterest I now realize how helpful it is to have a list of exactly what components are in any given kitchen. If you have questions about anything else you see in the photos feel free to ask!
- Contractor: Hazley Builders, West Chester, PA (http://hazleybuilders.com/)
- Floors: Porcelanosa Houston Copper Tile 8×47” (#V59201241)
- Countertops: MSI Stone Q-Stone Fossil Grey Quartz
- Backsplash: Soho Tile Crystal Super White 2X8 POL (#SOHCRYSSPWTP2X8)
- Appliances: Jenn-Air Cooktop, Downdraft, Micro/Oven Combo & Wine Cellar; Bosch Dishwasher; LG Refrigerator (existing)
- Table: Room and Board Rand Table 30×60
- Chairs: Mobital Tarna White Leatherette Dining Side Chair (#MBDCHTARNCA117)
- Stools: Mobital Loto Hydraulic Bar Stool (#DBSLOTOWHIT)
- Lights: Feiss Joplin Chrome Mini Pendants & Chrome Drum Shade Pendant
- Cabinets: Century Kitchens Carriage House Avalon
- Cabinet Hardware: Top Knobs Square Bar Pulls in Brushed Satin Nickel (#M1152, #M1155)
- Paint: SW 7073 Network Gray (primary, darker color); SW 6253 Olympus White (lighter color in foyer & room w/ fireplace)
4 thoughts on “New Kitchen!!”
gorgeous!! Love the wine cooler I see too!
holy cow!! you have a magazine kitchen!!!!
This is totally like out of a magazine…had the same thoughts as helly. Wow, stunning!
Whoa – not what I was expecting. Looks awesome – you’ll never eat out again…..